This could only happen to me...

This was originally written on May 25, 2008. I transferred it from my myspace blog so there would be some background info for what I wanted to post today.


For those of you who haven't heard yet, I have again had one of those accidents that can only happen to me. Surprisingly it didn't happen on Thursday.

While getting ready for lunch on Friday I was sitting in the recliner and I bent over to put my shoe on when I felt something pop in my lower back. There was instant pain and I thought that if I got in the floor and could get my back straightened I would be better. Well, that only led to a bigger problem. Once in the floor, the pain didn't get any better plus I couldn't get myself up. Basically, I just couldn't move. I wasn't paralyzed, just any movement caused more pain.

So this led to my very first ambulance ride. I was strapped down on a backboard and carried out the front door by the very nice paramedic people. They work with my brother at the fire department so I told them he would come beat them up if they were mean to me. They were nice to me anyway.

So I got to the ER and had to wait FOUR hours before a doctor saw me and the nurse couldn't do anything for me until then. So add the hour-long ride to the hospital and I went five hours of the worst pain I've ever had without any pain meds. I think the doctor that finally came in to see me only did so because the nurse made him. He didn't seem like he wanted to be in there treating me. He didn't do any tests either. All he did was feel my back and order some heavy duty pain medicine that is like four times more powerful than morphine. It took two and a half doses in a period of about an hour before I was able to get up out of the bed. It was still quite painful though. But they decided that since I could get up then I could go home. So I'm home with a diagnosis of a torn ligament in my back and a perscription for Percocet. Plus I was still hungry as this whole incident caused me to miss lunch and dinner.

So I'm going to be out of commission for a few more days, but no worries. I'm home and able to move around just enough to not be stuck in bed all the time. I'm not in too much pain, I'm mostly just sore. (I hope that makes sense, trust me there is a difference.)

Tying your shoes shouldn't be this difficult, but once again I've proven anything can be dangerous. Even on a Friday.

0 comments: