Concussions and why I'm thankful

All the leftovers are just about gone and Thanksgiving is quickly fading into memory as Christmas approaches. This entry isn't about either of those holidays except that it looks back to a moment in my life that I'm still learning how thankful I am that it happened.

I've been watching and reading about the concern over concussions in sports recently. It seems like the sporting world including professional, collegiate, and youth sports have just now become aware of the dangers of concussions.  In recent years a handful of athletes have either died or suffered life altering brain damage due to a concussion. Even Hollywood lost a star when Natasha Richardson died after ignoring the signs of a concussion.

All of the recent attention given to concussions and making sure a player really is ready to return to the field has made me think back to a day 11 years ago. I had suffered my third concussion in three years, all during the course of a soccer game, and was in the doctor's office for a check-up just one week post injury. I was still suffering from headaches and bouts of dizziness so my doc said I had to sit out another week. Another week went by and I was still suffering those side effects. My parents had already mentioned they weren't sure I should play anymore, but I wasn't ready to listen. After my two week post injury check-up didn't result in a clearance to return to the field; my doctor told me that "at some point you have to decide if a game is more important that your life." I asked what he meant by that and he told me that he could not guarantee that I would survive another blow to the head and if I did I would most likely suffer significant brain damage. I sat there and took in what he had just said to me. When I told him my parents wanted me to quit playing. He said he thought that was a good idea. That was a Friday and on Monday I had to tell my coach and teammates that not only was I not going to be returning for the rest of the season, but I was done forever.

It took me a long time to accept that I could no longer play this game that had been such a big part of my life.

Now, after hearing about all the concern and all the debilitating injuries and deaths due to concussions, I have an even greater appreciation for my parents and my doctor who thought about my future when I was only thinking about the next game. Even though I hated it then, I am so thankful they made that decision for me. I am so thankful that they weren't willing to give in to my desire for immediate happiness in exchange for my long term happiness. I'm thankful that my parents and doctor where aware of the consequences of head injuries 11 years ago. The knowledge of concussions and their side effects is not knew, it has simply been ignored and those involved in athletics have been under educated about the dangers of concussions.

So really the point of this story is for the parents and loved ones of athletes. Don't ignore the symptoms of concussion after a head injury. Always be over cautious when it comes to head injuries. Moms, don't ignore your instincts. Take your kid to the doc and don't let your kid talk you into letting him/her play until the doctor says it's okay. Don't be afraid to pull them off the field if they start to have a headache or if they just don't feel right. Don't be afraid to actually be a parent. That's your job. They'll get over it and it might take a while, but eventually they'll be thankful that you did. It's been 11 years since my parents said I couldn't play anymore and while I've known for most of that time that they were right and it was the best decision to make; I've only recently become thankful for that decision.

Play, have fun, and be safe.

Merry Christmas,
~RLJ

0 comments: